All roads lead to Rome

I know its been a while since I blogged, but cut me some slack, I'm in ITALY! Who wants to be on the computer when you're in a place like this? But, I promised I'd write...

We left Barcelona via our 2nd night train. This time we had things down and fell asleep immediately. We woke up the next day in Milan and caught a second train to Florence. What a fantastic place! Its small and quaint and easily walkable; everything was within 5 mins walk. We only had one full day in Florence before heading to Rome, so we covered lots of ground, seeing the Duomo and the famous David statue at the Acadamy. We were even able to make it out to Pisa to see the famous Leaning Tower, and boy does it lean! I had always thought it was just some sort of myth or optical illusion, but now that I've seen it, I'm not really sure how its still standing! Joshy and I dined on swordfish and rabbit at a delicious traditional Italian restaurant that night. We spent the next day getting ourselves to Rome to get ourselves oriented. It was quite a switch from the quite streets of Florence. We joined a night tour of the city, and rode on the bus with a family from NC who had bought a riding suit from Bedford Tack once...talk about a small world! The night tour was gorgeous; it was so neat to see the city lit up at night. Saturday we walked and walked and walked...seeing the Colloseaum, the Roman Forum, and the Pantheon. Sunday we headed to Vatican City where we saw the Sistine Chapel and St. Peter's Square. We even heard a bit of a mass that was going on in one of the chapels. Now, we are in Venice. The weather is a little cooler this week, and we've hit a few sprinkles here and there, but I really have no reason to complain. Now for pictures...

Me...I was a little tired of being on a train at this point.

The Duomo in Florence. I loved Florence!

Of course, we couldn't go to Pisa without trying to push is back into place. No such luck, though.

Swordfish and rabbit...

This is the Trevi Fountain at night. We tossed coins into it over our shoulders to ensure a return to Rome, according to legend.

The Colloseaum at night.

And us in front of it by day.


The Pantheon in Rome.

This is a celing inside the Vatacan Museaums, but not the Sistine Chapel...we couldn't take pictures in there. If they caught you trying, they would make you delete them from your camera! We didn't attempt it.

That's St. Peter's in the background, the balcony where the Pope comes out and waves or gives Mass.

Inside St. Peter's...it was too huge for words.

Next we take a ferry to Greece, I'll blog about Venice and the ferry when we're in Athens. Ciao!

No comments: