I think I'm in love

As you may or may not know, I got a little burned out this fall. I felt my passion for photography slipping away a little, and I needed to figure out a way to get it back. So, I set a few creative goals for myself, one of which was to try shooting with film. And that's what I did while Joshy and I were gone.

I started on film, you see. First, when I was just an amateur/hobbyist, and then while I was in school at Nossi. I used to have a film camera, but I think it got handed down to someone. I didn't ever think I was going to use it again. I mean, hello...it's a digital world out there, and if I wanted to make a living a photography, digital was my only option. So I had to borrow Melissa's film camera; she and I went to Nossi together, and she still had hers hanging around.

It was weird going into Walgreens to buy a roll of film. I haven't purchased film in at least 4 years, which is a pretty long time for someone who, as a teenager, went through hundreds of rolls from play practice, youth retreats, and basketball games. But as I was opening that little cardboard box, and popped the plastic top of the canister, something started to make me a little giddy on the inside. It was like this old friend had come to say hello, and I remembered suddenly how good of friends we actually used to be.

The first roll I put in my camera was color film. I'm pretty sure I tried to look at the back of my camera everytime I took a shot, yet there was nothing to see. In fact, once I even turned my camera on with the express purpose of looking back through the pictures I had taken that day. Talk about a habit fail. The second roll I shot was black and white. I probably made a poor choice in getting black and white film, but it was an experiment, and now I know better for the future. (Black and white film is meant for the darkroom, but more on that later.)

Typically, I have CF cards in my bag, waiting to be emptied onto my computer, but this time, I actually drove to Walgreens and walked up to the photo counter to drop off my two little rolls of film. Today, I picked them up, and the anticipation was incredible. I could hardly wait until I was back in my car to open them up and have a look. And that's when it happened: that's when I could feel my love returning. I was excited to be looking at a photo I shot for the first time in a long time. I couldn't wait to blog them for you. I can't wait to shoot another roll of film. I'm already planning photo shoots in my head. Maybe I'm getting a little carried away, (I mean it's only 2 rolls of film) but I like it. I'm going to begin researching film types and processing labs, see how the whole thing works on a professional level. I hope that this is my answer; I hope this is going to be my passion reborn. I'll keep you posted.

Here are my 3 favorites. There is just something about the quality and the feel of film that just can't be reproduced with a digital camera. At least, I can't reproduce it. The first is in Roatan, and the other 2 are in Belize. They are straight out of camera, meaning I have done no photoshop on them (aside from adding my watermark).

R1-12bb

R1- 5bb

R1- 6bb

I would love some feedback.
-Jenna

4 comments:

Devon said...

These pictures are amazing. They could sell as postcards.

Denise Skelton said...

LOVE them. It's amazing how film images just seem to "pop" and come to life. Nice job!

Jennifer said...

I love film--this just makes me want to get back into it!
I think there's something nice about not knowing how your picture turned out right after you shoot it. Film demands that you put more fore-thought into the process, and it leaves some things up to chance!

Jennifer said...

I love film--this just makes me want to get back into it!
I think there's something nice about not knowing how your picture turned out right after you shoot it. Film demands that you put more fore-thought into the process, and it leaves some things up to chance!