Can I shoot your wedding? On film?

I'm sitting here, itching to shoot another roll of film, trying to think of what subject I'd like to shoot. I have a few ideas rolling around in my head, but what I would really love to do is a wedding. They're kinda my thing, after all. However, considering how unfamiliar I am with film at the moment, I couldn't ask someone to pay me to shoot a wedding on film. So, I've decided to offer free wedding photography to a couple who is willing to allow me to take a risk on them. That's right: FREE. Included with this offer is full wedding day coverage and 4x6 prints of all the images. I can also probably get them on a CD for you, but I can't guarantee that.

I'm looking for a small, intimate wedding, or maybe a couple who could really benefit from free wedding photography. If you or someone you know is interested, we need to get to know each other, to see if I'll be a good fit for you, and vice versa. Send me an email no later than April 30th to jhendersonstudios@gmail.com with the following information:

1) Bride & Groom's names
2) Wedding date, time, & location
3) Contact info (email and phone please)
4) Info about you as a couple (personality, hobbies, etc)
5) Info about your wedding (style, theme, colors, wedding party, etc)
6) Send a picture of yourselves, if you want!

Two important pieces of information: First, the date of the wedding must be between September 10th & September 27th of this year. I'm not available any other time. Secondly, if you have already booked your wedding with me, this offer is not valid for you. Also, I'm more than willing to travel anywhere, but if the wedding is located outside of Middle Tennessee, there may be some travel costs that you would be responsible for, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

So what's the big deal, film versus digital, you ask? A lot, really. First, the way I shoot is completely different. Rather than click-click-click, I slow down a bit, which has both pros and cons. Secondly, I can't look at the image immediately to know if I've got it or not, I just have to trust myself..and pay attention to what I'm doing. And most importantly, the outcome; there is just something to a film image that I can't quite put my finger on. It's just got a different feel to it. Here is an example of the same shot of Sara Elizabeth, one on film, and one on digital, showing both before & after post-processing.

Film vs Digital

As you can see, there are slight, yet strangely significant differences among the three photos. Comparing the film to the unedited digital is quite a difference; the digital one is very flat and somewhat dull. The film image has the same rich feel of the edited digital image, yet there is a slightly different texture to it. While the edited digital photo looks great, it makes me wonder, what's the point of shooting digitally if all I'm going to do is try to make it look like film in Photoshop? Don't answer that question. I want to figure it out for myself, which is why I need a volunteer.

So think about it. Tell friends about it. If you're interested, or if you know anyone who is in need of some (probably) good wedding photography for free, let me know and we'll talk.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Dang--I want to go and get engaged just so I can have you shoot my wedding!

Laura said...

Hi Jenna I would love to be able to have some memories of my very special day but cant afford any. I got very sick still am and we have not been able to afford to get married. My honey got this great job recently and in order to be on his health insurance we have to be married so we are going to go to the court house and get married we were trying to save for a nice wedding but its always one thing after the other. Even though we dont have a lot I would really like to be able to have some memories on film. you are very talented I love your work!!! If would be such a blessing for you to help me

Jenna Henderson said...

Laura- Please email me directly: jhendersonstudios@gmail.com
Thanks!