A date with film

There might not be any of you who read this and are as excited about it as I am, but I really love it, so I'm blogging anyway.

Wednesday, as I was driving home from Franklin, I decided to take a little detour. I was in Eagleville, and rather than continuing straight to get myself back home, I decided to turn down a different road, one which I thought I knew where it came out. I didn't. It went somewhere completely different. Luckily, I have a pretty sound sense of direction, so I found my way eventually, and I didn't even wind up losing that much time. It was so nice, driving in this oh so lovely weather with my windows rolled down. I didn't really care that I was getting sort of lost.

When I'm driving, I'm always on the hunt for new locations...an old barn, a pretty field, a cool wall, etc. Usually, when I see something interesting, I check for two things: A fence that would keep me out, and a place that I could park my car while I shot. So, as I was driving along somewhere in the vicinity of Rockvale, I noticed a field I liked. Right away I saw that there was no fence, which is always a plus. Then, as I was looking for a place to park, this long, dirt driveway began to appear between a break in the tall grass, and it lead to a perfectly symmetrical house in the distance. Perfect, I thought. Only one teensy "No Trespassing" sign to keep me out.

Then I get a text. My Thursday shoot had to be rescheduled. Ugh. I just couldn't stand the thought of not getting my camera out. I was so inspired by the weather and that lonely, dusty driveway that I decided I just had to shoot. So, I called a couple of friends, got out my film camera, and planned a shoot, just for fun. Just for me. No clients, no albums, not even a blog if I didn't feel like it.

Shooting on film is so different from digital! I mean, the concept is the same, but the feel of the camera in my hand is so...different. I'm not sure how many times I looked at the back of my camera and mumbled in frustration for doing so...probably a lot. I almost felt like I had to re-learn the nuances of photography. We were there for nearly 3 hours, and I only have about 100 shots to show for it. I took a few with my digital, and the second that camera was back in my hand, I felt like I was home. But there is just something about film...the results just can't be re-created in Photoshop. I just wish I could freeze time a little...my models were stunning, the scene was perfect, the light was heavenly. If the sun hadn't set, I'd probably still be there shooting through countless rolls of film right now.

So, here are my results. I'm so in love with them, I had to share. JoEllen & Kyle modeled for me; they had never met before, but did wonderfully pretending to be a couple for me. All of these photos were shot manually on 200 or 400 ISO film. They have had zero post-processing, aside from the addition of my watermark.

JoEllen&Kyle_001Filmb

JoEllen&Kyle_003Filmb

JoEllen&Kyle_007Filmb

JoEllen&Kyle_008Filmb

JoEllen&Kyle_022Filmb

JoEllen&Kyle_024Filmb

JoEllen&Kyle_030Filmb

JoEllen&Kyle_032Filmb

JoEllen&Kyle_033Filmb

JoEllen&Kyle_048Filmb

JoEllen&Kyle_049Filmb

JoEllen&Kyle_052Filmb

JoEllen&Kyle_054Filmb

JoEllen&Kyle_058Filmb

JoEllen&Kyle_060Filmb

JoEllen&Kyle_066Filmb

JoEllen&Kyle_069Filmb

JoEllen&Kyle_072Filmb

JoEllen&Kyle_074Filmb

JoEllen&Kyle_075Filmb

JoEllen&Kyle_080Filmb

JoEllen&Kyle_085Filmb

JoEllen&Kyle_089Filmb

JoEllen&Kyle_092Filmb

JoEllen&Kyle_095Filmbb

JoEllen&Kyle_096Filmb

JoEllen&Kyle_111Filmb

Thanks to Kyle for putting of your work for an afternoon...and for bringing that hat! Thanks to JoEllen for coming all the way down to Shelbyville and laying in the weeds. Thanks to Luke for fixing up that amazing bike. And of course, thanks to Mom for letting me borrow the van.

I love comments, by they way. Hint, hint.

6 comments:

Sara said...

I love these! They look like an ad for a clothing designer. Great job!

Jennifer said...

I'm so glad you put up so many of the pictures! They're great. And I agree...when I use my film camera I always feel like the pics are better. I think it's because with film you have a limited number of "tries" so you (or at least I) think through my shots more and am more careful about what I shoot...where as digital I just click click click.

Ian Cresswell said...

I really like these. I feel like the dynamic range is greater. Blacks are dark, but not crushed. And yet still a nice "open" darkness, if that makes sense. Also, something about the shots makes subjects really pop from the background, almost like a "poster" effect around the edges. I mean it's not posterized, but something about it makes it pop as though it were. I can see why people describe film as "warm". These photos really do have a warm feeling.

On the flipside, something about the bokeh in some of these shots is not nearly as pleasing. Have no idea why that is. It just sorta hits me a little weird in some of them.

Overall... great shots!

allyson neely said...

Jenna! These are amazing! I love love love them! Isn't film just gorgeous!? Oh goodness. I'm sorry you were sick in Vegas - was looking forward to shooting with you! Will you be at WPPI next year?

Cari and Logan said...

Jenna!
These are GORGEOUS! JoEllen and Kyle are beautiful together. Such chemistry on film!

Shell said...

Inspiring work! I love the photos taken with your film camera too! I just inherited my dad's ole canon~can't wait to actually buy film!!!