Oregon, Day 1

There is a wall in my house filled with all kinds of frames of different shapes, sizes, and colors. If you've ever been in my house, that wall is probably the first thing you saw. Some of the frames are filled with family pictures, but a good portion of them are from our travels. There are pictures of Joshy and me in New York City, Venice, Athens, Amarillo, Paris, Pisa, and one more I can't think of right now. It's fun having all these pictures, but getting them isn't always as easy. When Joshy and I are out traveling, we've got to find someone who #1: speaks English, #2: can function a sometimes complicated camera, and #3: can get us and whatever we're standing in front of in the shot. I'm pretty picky, naturally. I've been known to be dissatisfied enough to wait a few minutes and then ask another person to try for us. We've been lucky to get some pretty decent shots, despite the challenges.

Joshy unfortunately isn't with me on this trip; instead I'm with Devon, Chris, and Taylor (Jennifer joins us in Seattle tomorrow). Needless to say, there are plenty of people around for me to pass my camera to.

Travelling is a big part of my life, and vacation pictures are pretty important to me, especially the ones of Joshy and me together. So, when I saw that darling couple today as they were standing at the overlook in front of the amazing Oregon coast, I couldn't resist walking over to them and offering to take their picture. They sort of had a longing-but-shy look on their face, and when I offered, they seemed relieved they didn't have to ask. Once I had their Nikon DSLR in my hands, I got a little carried away. I stepped into work mode, and I began directing and clicking like it was any normal engagement session and they were my clients. I'm not sure if I got anything outstanding, but I know I got a few of the both of them, standing in front of the scene, looking as happy and in love as anyone could hope to be. I'd say, when it comes to a vacation picture, that's a pretty good deal. Honestly, it was the highlight of my day. I hope they find a special place in a frame for one of those pictures. As I was walking away, he said, "I feel like I owe you something." He gave me more than I could ask for: a chance to take someone's picture, and make them happy. That is why I do what I do. Thanks, Sweet Couple from Florida, for reminding me of that.

Here are a few other highlights from the day. Clam chowder at Mo's in Cannon Beach. Yum.
P1030416

Haystack Rock. So cool. I've never seen scenery like this before.
P1030418

It's so pretty it looks like we're standing in front of a painted backdrop or something. It's really real, though. I promise.
P1030429

I turned Devon's sister, Taylor, into my personal model. I couldn't help it. She's just so darn cute.
P1030475

It's been about 6 years since I've done pictures for Devon and Chris. I'm not sure why it's taken me so long to do new ones for them. While we were at the beach, we had a session. I shot them 100% on film.
P1030490

Well, almost 100% on film; I had to grab this one shot with my Toy camera, so I could blog it.
P1030492

After our shoot it was time for dinner. This was possibly the most adorable cafe I've ever been in. And yummy too.
P1030530



So there. I'm keeping up with my daily blogging, (so far). I will try to post again soon. Their film pictures will get blogged once they come back from the lab. Now, it's time for bed.

1 comment:

cyndi said...

Keep posting the pics..... somehow those 2 never post any! Have fun