The Next Step

My Granny is very special to me. I'm sure you know this. Not only does she selflessly do work for the Next Step Home while always having lunch on the farm ready everyday at noon sharp, she reads my blog. She's even learned to text. Sara Eliz and I had lunch with her yesterday... Granny wanted to invite her Facebook friends to a benefit she's working on, and she needed us to show her how. So, we set up an event for her. I'm proud of my Granny, a person who was born in 1938, who keeps up with her grandchildren through Facebook & text, all while feeding us homemade soups and freshly baked cookies, just as a grandmother should.

Right now, her efforts are focused on a benefit; on October 14, the Shelbyville Next Step Home, in conjunction with the Men’s Half-Way House and the Boys and Girls Club, will be hosting the Empty Bowls Benefit from 11:00 to 1:00 at the First Baptist Church at 304 Depot Street, Shelbyville. The benefit is raising money to fill the pantries of the non-profits organizations hosting the event. Tickets are $20; the price of the ticket includes a meal and a ceramic bowl made by the students of The Webb School, Cascade High School, and members of the community. The simple soup-and-bread meal will be furnished by Bill Osborn, Operations Manager and Head Chef of Legends Restaurant in Shelbyville. The whole event is inspired by World Hunger Day and is intended to not only benefit the local non-profits, but also remind us about those in the world who struggle with hunger on a daily basis. If you buy a ticket, not only will you be helping those in need, you'll also recieve a hand-made ceramic bowl to keep...how neat is that? If you're interested in purchasing a ticket or making a donation, email me and I'll be able to point you in the right direction.

Here is my granny, by the way...in her kitchen.
IMG_1024cb

No comments: