I can do this

Picking up where I left off yesterday with Part 1 of my first wedding on film....

I. Was. Clueless. That's how I felt a few moments after sitting down with Kelli to talk to her about her wedding. It was as if I'd never shot a wedding before in my life. I had no idea what kind of film to use. I had no idea where to have it developed. I had no idea what to do after it was developed or how to get it in digital format. I didn't even own a professional film camera. That consultation with Kelli felt like I was on a job interview for a position which I was not qualified to fill. Yet, I was committed. I had taken the leap, and come October I would be shooting a wedding on film whether I had a clue or not.

That's when I decided it was time to get serious...I needed to learn, and fast. then, somehow, I stumbled across the website for Jonathan Canlas. He was producing beautiful work and doing it entirely on film. This is possible, I thought. If he can do it, so can I. I sent him an email, asking if he happened to ever teach one-on-one workshops. To my surprise, he not only taught, but had one spot left for his October workshop that was dedicated entirely to the subject of learning to shoot film. It was perfect timing, and I signed up. Turns out, it was the best possible thing I could have ever done. The Film Is Not Dead workshop taught me what I was searching for, and then some. I felt like I was equipped to do this. Sorta. Maybe. Not really. No. Could I really do this? Probably. Was it going to be up to par with my normal work, or just ok? My nerves were getting the best of me. I was afraid that after all the anticipation, the results would just be... mediocre.

The day came. The weather was heavenly, as if I had called God on the phone and special ordered the blue skies and ideal temperatures. I showed up with my bag full of film, and I shot and shot and shot. At first, it felt like I was shooting with my eyes closed, but as the day wore on, I finally quit glancing at the back of my camera. Instead, I was looking through my camera, like a photographer should be. I had the best wedding I could possibly ask for handed to me on a sliver platter, and I ran with it. At the end of the night, I had shot 23 rolls of film, and thus began the longest two weeks of my life as I waited for the results to come back from Richard Photo Lab.

Finally, I had my answer.

Here are the results...part 2 of Dale & Kelli's wedding. I'll post the 3rd and final blog about it tomorrow, and tell you how these results make me feel, although something tells me you might already know.
DKL266



DKL222

DKL242

DKL243

DKL252

DKL261

DKL274

DKL279

DKL283

DKL280

DKL296

DKL273

DKL269

DKL258

DKL301

DKL305

DKL307

DKL311

Just FYI, this is Brenda, Dale's sister. She and I had a chance to chat a bit at the wedding, and now I'll be shooting her own wedding this fall at Falling Water, the famous Frank Lloyd Wright house, this fall in Pennsylvania. I can't wait!
DKL340

They're going to be an awesome couple to shoot, I just know it.
DKL343

DKL348

DKL376

DKL379

DKL383

DKL392

DKL394

DKL395

DKL401

DKL403

DKL405

DKL410

DKL416

DKL417

DKL421

DKL426

DKL437

DKL443

DKL445

DKL454

DKL455
Come back and see me tomorrow for the reception and a roll of film I was certain would be complete trash.

3 comments:

BethM said...

How inspiring. You take beautiful pictures. Did you use the canon EOS 3 throughout the wedding? I've been debating between the EOS 3 or the 1V. I look forward to your next blog.

Jenna Henderson said...

Hey Beth!
Yes, I used the EOS3 the entire wedding, except for a little at the reception when I used a plain old Canon Rebel (those pics coming later). I've never used a 1V, but from what I hear, the EOS3 is the better and cheaper camera.

Molly said...

These are fantastic, JB! I love the one where she puts the ring on his finger. I see what you mean about film pictures having that "warm" feeling. Very awesome! I am so impressed at how you push yourself to learn and be better at what you do and love.