So I took a risk

It happens from time to time. I get bored. I get burned-out. I find myself frustrated with my work and uninterested in shooting. A while back, I was shooting so much, and editing even more, that the very thought of picking up my camera made me want to smash it and my computer against the concrete. I was at the breaking point, and almost ready to walk away. So, I took some time off, and during the down time, I decided I needed some new goals. I had a list: shoot more personal work, shoot less client work, & try shooting film.

Then spring came around. I felt fresh & ready to cautiously tackle the new season. On a particularly warm April day, after a detour down a new road the day before, I felt inspired enough to grab my film camera, load it up, and take it for a spin. JoEllen & Kyle volunteered to be my guinea pigs, and the un-photoshopped results blew me away. Film, I thought to myself, Who knew?

About a week after my first stab at film photography I was yearning to shoot more. I hadn't had this itch in a long time, and I just couldn't wait to get another roll of film in my camera. So, I decided to jump in head first. I posted a blog, announcing my decision to shoot a wedding 100% on film, and thus began a search for the perfect couple who would be willing to let me try such a bold move. I mean, really...what was I thinking? After 5 rolls of Walgreens film, did I really think I was qualified to shoo t a whole wedding? Go big or go home, I guess.

Never the less, it was out there: if anyone was willing to let me shoot their wedding on film, and I'd do it for free. I had lots of interest at first, mostly from people who saw the 'free' and overlooked the 'film' part of it. Then I had a few serious inquiries. Nothing seemed to be the right fit. Weeks went by, and I started to give up. That's when I got an email from Kelli. She saw my post, was willing to take the risk with me. She even sent a video to show me how much fun she and Dale are. Still, after speaking with so many who were seeking free work, I was a little skeptical I'd actually found my film couple. But I called her up anyway. We spoke for a bit, first about me, then about her wedding, and then about film. She wasn't seeking only the free work I was offering, she was into the look of film. She got it. I'd found my couple.

And then the stars really aligned. I sat down with Kelli to chat in person and explain myself a little more, and she began to describe her wedding. No bridesmaids or groomsmen. Lots of October daylight. Awesome new venue. Two whole hours set aside before the ceremony just for pictures. Low pressure. Easy going. She even said they'd be happy if all they got was about 15 photos of it all. It was exactly the kind of wedding I needed to gain confidence with a film camera in my hand. After all, in the 99 wedding prior to this one, I'd never used a film camera. I had always been able to instantly see the images I was creating and know whether or not I was doing it right. Turns out, it was right on so many levels. Tomorrow I'll go into more of that when I post part two of this wedding.

Dale & Kelli, I'm so glad I found you.


Here is part 1 of my 100th wedding, and the first on film. Shot using Fuji 400H with a Canon EOS3 & my battery of canon lenses; developed by the pros at Richard Photo Lab. The wedding was held in Marathon Village at the Corsair Distillery, which was formerly the Yazoo Brewery.
DKL004



DKL001

DKL009

DKL012

DKL019

DKL021

DKL025

DKL027

DKL029

DKL047

DKL054

DKL057

DKL070

DKL073

DKL078

DKL096

DKL099

DKL107

DKL114

DKL117

DKL124

DKL127

DKL134

DKL139

DKL141

DKL143

DKL149

DKL151

DKL169

DKL171

DKL175

DKL177

DKL186

DKL189

DKL190

DKL194

DKL200

DKL202

DKL207

DKL218

DKL220

DKL234

This is only scratching the surface. Part 2 will be up tomorrow & part 3 goes live on Thursday.

1 comment:

Kelli said...

Jenna... you are ridiculously amazing. I'm so glad you took a chance on us. The pictures turned out better than we ever, EVER imagined. Thank you for everything.

Looking forward to seeing what you're going to come up with in September at Dale's sister's wedding! :)