JoEllen got married! Part 1

She's been my guinea pig for years. I've got negatives of JoEllen dating all the way back to 2005 when I was just beginning to learn about photography at college. While I was in school, I had photo assignments nearly every week, and who better to use as a model than my best friend who also happens to be gorgeous and willing to pose for me. Well, mostly willing to pose...there were a couple of times I had to drag her away from a nap in order to get my homework done. One of the very first images I ever took of her was this one:

JoEllen Old Blinds Photo cs
It was for my black and white film class, and I processed this film and printed the image all by hand in the dark room. It's still one of my very favorite images, even after all these years.

JoEllen has been nothing but supportive for my entire career as a photographer. Whether it be posing, spell checking blogs, or just listening to me go on and on about other people's weddings, she's been there for me every step of the way. So, when it was her turn to be the bride, there was no question who would shoot it. I mean, it's not like I'd let anyone else do it! Of course, JoEllen also wanted me as her maid of honor, so it made things a little complicated. While it worried me at first, I decided that with the help of my assistant Melissa I could pull this off, even while 6 months pregnant. So, that's what I did...I put on my maternity bridesmaid dress, loaded my camera with film, and photographed the ultimate wedding.

It really was stunning. She was stunning. I cried....I blame the hormones. Just after she put on her dress, I noticed a bit of light streaming in from a nearby window, and it reminded me of that very first image I took of her all those years ago. It feels like everything has truly come full circle...both the original image and this one were taken on film (though I didn't go into the dark room for this one).
KJB044

The wedding  itself went off without a hitch. Although I admit, it was harder to wear the bridesmaid hat and photographer hat than I thought. I simply couldn't have done it without the help of my two minions: my regular assistant Melissa (who has been by my side at every wedding since to help me as I've gotten bigger and bigger), as well as my new friend Alex of Alex Bee Photo. Both of them let me bark orders all day long and never missed a beat. Together they photographed all the shots I needed to be in, such as bridesmaid group shots, the wedding party as a whole, and of course the ceremony itself. Melissa really stepped up to the plate and shot with my film camera at moments, even though she really didn't want to. To both of you: THANK YOU! This wedding wouldn't have been the same without you.

So, here are my favorites....well, part one of my favorites. Part two will come tomorrow when I can tell you about the AMAZING team of vendors JoEllen and Kevin had. They really had the dream team of wedding vendors. These images, for the most part, are by me on film. Obviously, if I'm in the shot, either Melissa or Alex took it, and I'll try to credit them best I can, but sometimes I can't remember who took what...

It felt weird to be a bridesmaid.
KJB008


KJB009

KJB022

KJB023

KJB026

KJB030

Photo by Alex.
KJB034

Here I am...doing my thing. Photo by Alex.
KJB038

KJB039

Meanwhile, Kevin was getting ready for their first look. Photo by Alex.
KJB061

KJB062

Here she comes!
KJB071

KJB073

It's a wonder this image is in focus. I was crying here too.
KJB080

KJB083

Their flowers were by the awesomely talented Caprice Palmer of The Enchanted Florist.
KJB094

KJB099

KJB109

Possibly my favorite image.
KJB116

KJB128

KJB135

KJB138

KJB148

There I am again at work...baby bump and all. Photo by Alex.
KJB154

True story: about 3 or 4 years ago, before JoEllen met Kevin, before Joshy and I started thinking about kids, JoEllen and I said that I would be pregnant at her wedding. You know, just because it would be the worst timing ever. We totally called it.
KJB168

Bridesmaids! So glad that Tiner (left) could come in from Memphis! We three lived together at Lipscomb. These next few are all by Melissa with my film camera. Way to go Melissa!
KJB174

KJB176

KJB182

KJB191

I really loved my dress. It was so comfy and it had pockets.
KJB200

KJB206

Me, doing what I do best: BOSSING. Photo by Alex.
KJB208

KJB224

KJB228

The guys looked so handsome in their suits and skinny ties.
KJB234

KJB246

KJB264

KJB272

Kevin, showing me some love. I couldn't have hand picked a better husband for JoEllen.
KJB273

KJB276

KJB279

KJB287

Seriously. Love them.
KJB292

KJB299

KJB302

The detail on her dress was stunning.
KJB308

KJB315

KJB320

KJB323

KJB329

All those years practicing her America's Next Top Model moves finally paying off.
KJB335

KJB347

KJB351

There's really no question why she always made such a good model for me. Just look at those eyes.
KJB353

KJB376

KJB380

Kevin's family...such a sweet group of people. I'm so glad to know them.
KJB394

And JoEllen's family...8 nieces and nephews with one on the way. (Two if you count Baby H).
KJB417

KJB425

KJB436

And finally, one quick shot of me and the baby daddy...love him.
KJB481
Check back tomorrow for Part 2 when I show you all the amazing details, tell you about their dream team of vendors, and share a few party shots.

1 comment:

Kelli said...

Gorgeous photos, Miss Jenna! (Not that I'm a bit surprised..) I think her dress is the prettiest wedding dress I've ever seen.